Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Bed Bugs and Motel Rooms

   I've been spending at least one night a week at motels over the past few months. The motel that I go to is generally clean and I've searched the rooms that I stay in for bed bugs - checked the headboard, beneath the mattress, the curtains, and even the carpeting underneath the bed with a flashlight. I did find a roach once and a ladybug that had flown indoors but no bed bugs. It's a small local motel that's sleepy and I'm probably their only frequent customer. Well, me and this other guy I've seen from time to time who looks like a serial killer but that's a story for another day.

   That absence of the little buggers in motels can't be the norm however. Motels that see a lot of traffic from travelers near and far are almost certain to encounter at least some bed bugs. Think about it - dirty ass people travel around and spread the contagion of bed bugs everywhere they stay. Motels would never publicize this fact however because it wouldn't exactly be good for business. How can travelers find out if a motel or hotel has had reports of bed bugs? Check out the Bed Bug Registry http://bedbugregistry.com/ which allows visitors to punch in the name and address of a hotel and search for any reports of bed bugs sightings. I checked my motel and they're clean. Good to know.

No comments:

Post a Comment