Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Monarch Caterpillar Dorsal Aorta

Serendipity = making fortunate discoveries. Occasionally, there is a little serendipity in the lab. One Friday, a few weeks ago, I noticed an unusual larva, a fourth instar of a "black" larval mutation we are studying. This particular larva was lighter than most and we could see the blood coursing through the dorsal aorta. I said "Let's get a camera, this is neat!" In the course of doing the filming, and not doing it well, I kept getting advice from one of our critter crew members Alicia Bigelow, and I soon realized (another bit of serendipity) that Alicia needed to be in charge of the production of video projects that I've always wanted to post to Monarch Watch's YouTube channel. So, here is the first production: The dorsal aorta. In the voice-over I describe the general pattern of blood circulation in insects and arthropods.

Chip Taylor | Director, Monarch Watch

No comments:

Post a Comment